Charlotte is very much an experimental piece for me. I had not created a bust, nor used a cold finish like this on any of my pieces before. I wanted to make something a little more light-hearted and playful. And because of this, I did not want to do my typical red iron oxide wash finish because I felt it would not create the visual cohesiveness I was going for. I do not care for under glazes much, for I feel my hand is a bit too heavy for them.
After some research online, I found a method that used an antiquing furniture polish over acrylics that looked to have the result I desired. I am extremely pleased with the results and wish to explore these cold finishes further. It is not as noticeable in the pictures, but by lightly applying a skin tone and wiping it away with a damp cloth, I was able to obtain a matte finish for the skin, while the heavier acrylic on the hair provided a slight glossiness. The polish over all of it held it together perfectly. I love the contrast of matte and gloss.
Cone 10 white stoneware fired to cone 5. Acrylic finish. Approximately 14″ tall.
Featured at Columbia City Gallery in Seattle, WA.